Home > Blog > Build Logs > 4x4 CNC Router > Dust Shoe Revisit

Dust Shoe Revisit

Posted by qwindelzorf on April 24, 2009

Well, the machine is working splendidly, so I decided it was about time to cut a new dust shoe for the bigger dust collector hose. To that end, I ordered up some half-inch thick acrylic online. It came in earlier this week, so today I clamped it down and cut out my new dust collector shoe.

new_shoe.JPG

Here it is, hot (literally) off the table. The paper is purely for protection from scratches.

new_shoe_edge.JPG

Here is a view of the edge, after cutting. I am quite impressed with the quality of the cut. This was done with a 1/4 inch 2-flute up-spiral bit, running at about 22000 rpm, taking off 0.05 inches per pass.

new_shoe_paperless.JPG

Here is the shoe without the paper. It's very nice.

Now the bad news. After peeling off the paper, I got to looking at the iece and thinking that it did not look quite right. So I got out my calipers and measured the diameter of the inside holes. Low-and-behold, they're all half an inch too big! It turns out that I accidentally cut outside the circle in the plans, rather than inside.Thus, since the bit is 1/4 inch, the hole is 1/2 inch too big.

So, now I have to come up with a new piece of acrylic. So, unless I can find someone locally who has the sutff (unlikely), there goes $14 + S&H. Sigh. At least it cuts nicely.