Wow. It's been a lonnnng time since I updated this. The machine has been on hold since the last update, as my garage was broken into and robbed. However, I recently managed to replace the stuff that was stolen. These last few weeks have been rather eventful. I have installed the previously mentioned motor mount kit, and new, more powerful steppers. I also managed, through my own stupidity, to fry the stepper drivers. I have since replaced them with the new HobbyCNC kit. I have also switched from using TurboCNC on Windows 98 SE to using EMC2 on Ubuntu. I must say, it is quite nice.
Here's a shot of the assembled machine.
Don't mind the hex wrenches.